About the Women & Girls Fund of the Mid-Shore
Mission: Using the power of pooled resources to improve the lives of women and girls on the Mid-Shore.
The Women & Girls Fund is an endowed fund that channels the pooled resources of individuals into a powerful and permanent legacy serving the needs of women and girls in Caroline, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne’s and Talbot Counties, Maryland. It is our mission to use the power of pooled resources to improve the lives of women and girls on Maryland ’s Mid-Shore.
Our goals are:
- To understand the needs of women & girls throughout the Mid-Shore and to raise awareness of these needs in our communities
- To support under-funded programs and initiatives that aid women and girls
- To facilitate collaborative efforts among existing agencies and programs and to encourage public/private partnerships
- To engage the philanthropic instincts of all women by providing venues in which their resources of money, time, and talent can be used
- To educate the next generation and cultivate a tradition of philanthropy for future generations.
The Fund started in 2002 as the grassroots effort of a group of women looking for an effective way to address significant local problems. The first donation was received that year and—after working with the United Fund and Mid-Shore Community Foundation to learn about the region’s needs—our first grants were given in April of 2003.